First National Bank
First National Bank and Trust Company Building
Size: 41,400 SF
The First National Bank and Trust Building is one of five large bank buildings that dominate the main street of downtown Flint. The building was originally constructed in 1924 to house a mixed use of lower level banking spaces and variety of medical related office spaces above.
The Neo-Classical Revival style of this seven-story skyscraper towers over the city, reflecting the industry’s wealth generated through the automobile industry. The building was clad entirely in white terra cotta with elaborate detailing dominating the first and second levels. The design is capped at the seventh floor with an intricately detailed cornice.
Working as a historical consultant on the project with Uptown Development the building was renovated into residential loft-style apartments with Republic Bank occupying the first two floors. Efforts were made to bring the exterior of the building back to it’s original luster. This project has resulting in a State of Michigan “Cool Cities Initiative” designation and received the 2007 Governor’s Award for Historic Preservation.